Sunday 1 June 2014

Great Dunn Fell



I was now only weeks away from my first hostel weekend and another opportunity to meet more walking forum members came up with a day meet up in the North Pennines.

I’d met Mark (Fat Goat) on the Yorkshire meet up in March. He had organised a walk up to Cross Fell and Great Dun Fell, which was about 12 miles.

I’d seen Great Dun Fell from the M6 before Penrith each time I drove to the Lakes. The fell stands out as it has a radar dome at it’s summit, it looks like a golf ball from a far. So it was a good opportunity to visit this summit, the radar dome and see the Lake District from a far distance over the Vale of Eden while building potential new friendships.

We arranged to meet in the tiny village of Kirkland. It was a beautiful June morning, the sun was out as I arrived although little early as I didn't want to be late.

The days planned route.

Also on the walk were Karl and Sue who I’d met in Yorkshire in March along with Mark. Unfortunately none of these people were going to the hostel meet, but a young guy called Colin was. 
Colin had just walked the Yorkshire 3 Peaks challenge the day before and was pretty tired, and quiet.

Once all five of us had arrived and booted to go, we set off down the lane only for Mark to drop his water bottle on the road.
The lid came off and he lost half his bottle contents before saving the remaining water.

We were soon on a gentle climb on a well established track, winding its way up Cross Fell skirting ‘High Cap’ and although it was a gentle climb, it was a long one, almost 4 miles to the summit.

A herd of cattle took an unhealthy interest in our group as we admired the stunning views of the Eden Valley


A good opportunity to sit, take a breather and gaze at the views.







Most of the group were fine in the ascent, but Mark struggled a little and a number of times found himself some distance behind, so plenty of stops to admire the views across the Eden Valley were made, and a chance for Mark to regroup.

Stunning views




Back at our start point in Kirkland, the weather was fine and warm, however as we gained height and the summit of Cross Fell became nearer, it did feel much fresher and with a low cloud base felt like it could rain at anytime. The wind had also increased so shell jackets went on.

Karl, Colin and Sue stop to put on jackets as the weather deteriorates 


Colin and Sue almost at Cross Fell summit


We were soon joining the Pennine Way up the final stretch to the summit of Cross Fell at 893 metres. Here we had a chance for the group to take shelter from the wind in an impressive construction and grab a bite to eat. Most of us pulled out a sandwich, but Mark produced the largest container of pasta I’ve seen.
Thankfully he only ate a portion of it, otherwise I think we would have been still at the summit at nightfall.

Cross Fell summit shelter

I set up my camera on the self timer while Karl, Mark, Sue and Colin lined up by the trig point. It was a real dash to get back and positioned before the shot......I didn’t make it.
I also managed to snap Colin at the side of the tallest cairn I’ve seen to date.

Note to myself, not quick enough!!!


Finally a half decent snap of the group. Mark, Karl, me, Sue and Colin


Now that's what you call a cairn

Leaving Cross Fell behind


We continued south east along the Pennine Way leaving Cross Fell summit behind. Our next waypoint was Little Dun Fell, just over an easy mile on the long distance path.

Passing Little Dun Fell was pretty uneventful, but the white dome of Great Dun Fell was in sight. It did seem to take an age to arrive at the radar, but eventually we did, and a quick look around the fenced off facility out of curiosity before the group sat down for a break.
We spent some time looking at the distant fells of the Lake District and trying to work out which fells were which.



The radar now on our radar

Up close and personal with the air traffic control system that helps keep the skies safe over Northern England and Southern Scotland

Sue working out Lake District Fells through wind swept hair while Karl looks on


From Great Dun Fell we backtracked over Little Dun Fell to a junction marked by a stone.
Mark was out of water at this point, and as I still had plenty of water left, I topped his bottle up. No time to stop now as the group headed down to Wildboar Scar
and returned to the village of Kirkland.

Back tracking the long path from Great Dun Fell to Little Dun Fell


The stone which indicates our left turning off the Pennine Way


A shot of both Little and Great Dun Fells


It was a pleasant day with no real challenges apart from getting a conversation out of Colin. Sue and Karl were excellent company and thanks go to Mark for the idea of walking this route. I’ve done it now and I doubt I’ll return for a second walk here for a long time. As I looked over from Great Dun Fells summit to the Lake District in the distance, I knew where my heart wanted to be.

But it was a nice change from where I'd been walking and a new area explored.


No comments:

Post a Comment